Job Posting: General Manager
POSITION General Manager
TYPE Full time, permanent
LOCATION Toronto, ON
REPORTS TO Board of Directors
Necessary Angel is one of English Canada’s most vital original creation and touring organizations. With a history of innovation and risk taking, the company engages artists from a variety of disciplines in the creation of new work. For over 40 years we have produced more than 60 productions, including 30 world premieres and 11 North American premieres. Work created by Necessary Angel has been nominated for and has won Governor General’s Awards for Drama, Chalmers Awards for Outstanding New Play, and numerous Dora Mavor Moore Awards.
We have been privileged to work with outstanding literary figures such as Michael Ondaatje and Timothy Findley. A catalyst for groundbreaking original work, Necessary Angel has collaborated with some of Canada’s most acclaimed theatre artists: Jordan Tannahill, Dairine Ni Mheadra, Daniel MacIvor, Saidah Baba Talibah, John Mighton, Colleen Murphy, Teresa Pryzbylsky, Jason Sherman, Colleen Wagner, David Young, Marie-Josee Chartier and Jonathon Young.
On February 1st, 2013, Necessary Angel welcomed Jennifer Tarver as the new Artistic Director. An award-winning director, Jennifer is considered one of Canada’s leading theatre practitioners. She is the third Artistic Director, and the first female leader of the company.
Necessary Angel Theatre seeks a progressive, ambitious theatre professional as General Manager to work in partnership with the Artistic Director to achieve the mission of the Company.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for managing the company’s finances and accountable for ensuring that all the operational aspects of fundraising, marketing, outreach and development align with the artistic vision, and serve the company’s creation, production and touring mandate. The General Manager will, along with the Artistic Director, be identified as the “public face” of the Company and foster a culture of openness and collaboration in pursuit of artistic excellence.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Company using best practices and managing systems and procedures to ensure success.
- Lead the financial management of the Company.
- Oversee the logistical requirements to develop and produce the work of the Company
- Through regular communication with the Artistic Director, provide the necessary input to develop and set in motion the long-term artistic plan.
- Create, implement, and monitor annual budgets and cash flow statements including production and touring budgets.
- Oversee the annual audit process.
- Hire and manage all staff required to execute the artistic and business plans, including office, technical, and performing talent.
- Cultivate local, national, and international development, commissioning, producing and presenting partnerships.
- Oversee the implementation of marketing and communications strategies and project-specific marketing and publicity campaigns.
- Manage the Company’s relationship with its bank.
- Assume responsibility for revenue generation including earned, public, and private.
- Manage all fundraising activities including public, private, and foundation.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, prepare and write all grant applications to all appropriate government funding agencies.
- Maintain and develop relationships with community partners.
- Prepare and execute all relevant contracts to fulfill the company’s plans in accordance with industry standards observing health and labour.
- Identify current and potential stakeholders, and through stewardship strengthen relationships.
- Prepare agendas and materials for Board meetings, ensuring they are delivered on time.
- In collaboration with the Board, prepare requests for corporate support and oversee fundraising.
- Deliver regular financial reports at Board meetings, indicating cash flow and forecasts.
- Submit annual budget and production budgets for Board approval.
- Work with the Board of Directors and its Committees to identify and deploy the Board’s resources to support company activities.
Producing – in tandem with contracted part-time producers
- Manage the Production process, overseeing the process from budget to realization.
- Identify and create strategic producing partnerships, both domestic and international.
- Develop the company’s international presentation network.
- Identify and assess viability of all touring opportunities.
- Negotiate domestic and international theatre production rights of all plays, right through to the artist contract negotiation process.
- Lead the co-production negotiation and contracting process
The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Minimum five years’ leadership experience in a professional theatre setting.
- Strength in leadership, vision, and team-building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, and high energy.
- In-depth skills in operating procedures for accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting.
- Extensive experience in theatre production.
- An in-depth awareness of theatre activity, both local and national.
- Excellence in writing, planning, research, communications, and project management.
- Extensive knowledge of professional, not-for-profit theatre practice in Canada.
- An ability to translate artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans.
- Extensive and current knowledge of the national and international arts touring ecology.
- Professional, confident, and tactful with a strong ability to deal with a wide variety of people including sponsors, donors, professional colleagues, artists, and patrons.
- A willingness to take on a range of tasks, from menial to executive.
- Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
A competitive, experienced-based compensation package will be provided with salary and applicable benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter, résumé and three letters of reference to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 6th, 2017.
Necessary Angel is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.